My name is JB Akers and I appreciate you taking the time to visit our website. We know your time is valuable and we never take our clients and potential clients for granted. This page on our site is meant to give you a very brief introduction of who we are and what we do. When you're finished I hope you will give us a call or send us an email so we can talk about how we can help you.
I have handled hundreds of cases representing individuals and local businesses. Past cases involved car wrecks and commercial vehicle accidents, complex medical issues, insurance industry practices, serious workplace injuries, illegal employment practices such as discrimination or sexual harassment, construction project and business disputes, defective product claims and many other types of cases. I have litigated cases throughout West Virginia and handled appeals in state and federal courts.
One thing my clients have in common is almost none of them ever imagined they would need to hire a lawyer and they certainly never thought they would be involved in a lawsuit. The fact is, however, good people often find themselves in difficult situations with no other choice. We are here to help those people and we do it everyday.
Our experience matters. What initially appears to be a simple car wreck can turn into a complicated battle with a large insurance company over what coverage is available to compensate you. A wreck involving a commercial vehicle is even more complicated, can involve several different defendants, many insurers and a myriad of federal and state regulations. Medical malpractice and nursing home cases also require an understanding of insurance law and your attorney must have access to competent, qualified medical experts who can review your case before it can even be filed. In short, few cases are as simple as they first appear and you should hire a lawyer who understands and has experience in many areas of the law.
My office works diligently to settle our clients' claims without filing a lawsuit. We know litigation can be expensive, drawn out and stressful for our clients. Fortunately many of our cases are, in fact, resolved without litigation.
Ultimately, however, a lawsuit is sometimes necessary. When that happens we pride ourselves on our reputation as an aggressive litigation firm. While one of my goals is to resolve your case without making you go to the time and expense of trial you should hire a lawyer who is willing and able to present your case to a judge and jury if necessary. I believe every case should be prepared as though it is going to trial even if your goal is to settle out of court. I also believe in the jury system and the fact that jurors are fair-minded people who try to do what's right. Like you they deserve to hear a case that is well-prepared and honestly presented.
Just as importantly you need an attorney who gives you an honest evaluation of your claim. Your lawyer should promptly return your phone calls and keep you informed as your case develops. I pride myself in being that kind of lawyer.
Hiring a lawyer is an extremely important decision. Instead of simply reading about my office why don't you give us a call or send us an email? Find out if we handle the type of case you're facing. Ask us what sets us apart from other lawyers. If you want to meet me personally we can visit in my office, your home or any place else that's convenient for you. I even promise that if you decide not to hire me I'll suggest other good lawyers who I think might be able to help you. Because that's what we do, we help people, and we do it everyday. Call or email us to find out how we can help you.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Claims
- Car, Truck and Motorcycle Accidents
- Boating and Shipping Accidents
- Hunting and Recreational Accidents
- Premises Liability Cases, Including Hotel Liability Claims
- Dangerous and Defective Product Injuries
- Workplace Accidents
- Mining, Logging and Construction Accidents
- Medical and Dental Malpractice
- Birth Injuries
- Pharmacy and Medication Errors
- Nursing Home Litigation
- School Law
- Insurance Disputes
- Consumer Protection and Fraud
- Employment Law
- Discrimination and Harassment
- Medical and Disability Leave Claims
- Retaliatory Termination and Wrongful Discharge
- 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- West Virginia, 1999
- U.S. District Court Southern District of West Virginia, 1999
- U.S. District Court Northern District of West Virginia, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 2003
- West Virginia University College of Law, Morgantown, West Virginia
- J.D. - 1999
- Honors: Pro Bono/Public Service Award
- Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- B.A. cum laude - 1995
Honors and Awards
- West Virginia Super Lawyers & Rising Stars, 2009 - 2014
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rating; Highest Available Rating
Professional Associations and Memberships
- West Virginia Association for Justice, Board of Governors
- American Association for Justice