If you are like most people, your job is one of the most important parts of your life. The fact is most of us spend more time at work than virtually anywhere else. Our work is important to us, not just because it provides a living but because we want to do a good job. When problems arise during the course of your employment, it's not always clear what rights you have or just how to proceed.
At Akers Law Offices, our attorney, JB Akers, provides counsel for employees facing difficult situations. We understand that not only is your income at stake, but also there is a need to protect your reputation, pride and emotional well-being as well. We are very aware of the fact that these serious situations must be handled delicately yet aggressively.
Call our office in Charleston at 304-932-4571 or send us your information using our confidential form. We offer free initial consultations.
If you have an employment law issue, you need a lawyer who has successfully represented other employees in a similar situation. Our lawyer has litigated all of his employment cases in West Virginia, including those involving:
- Sexual harassment and sex discrimination: A hostile work environment should never be tolerated, nor should you should be kept from advancement or treated unfairly because of your gender. We can prove what happened to you and make sure corrective action is taken.
- Retaliation for taking or denial of medical/disability leave: Employers do not always welcome employees taking family, medical or disability leave, but your employer does not have the right to deny you the leave that is guaranteed by law — or to retaliate against you for taking it.
- Retaliation for exercising employment rights: Were you fired in retaliation for exposing company wrongdoing or trying to exercise your legal rights — such as filing a workers' comp or disability claim or challenging discrimination? That is illegal. Contact us to discuss your rights.
- Other wrongful termination: Most employment relationships are "at will," which means that your employer can fire you without cause, or even for no reason. However, your employer cannot fire you because of discrimination, because you tried to exercise your legal rights, or for another illegal reason. We can help you seek damages for wrongful discharge.
- Unpaid overtime or other wages: Employers are required by law to pay overtime to certain employees. The law determines which employees qualify, not the employer. We can help with misclassification and other situations involving unpaid wages.
At Akers Law Offices, we are committed to negotiating a fair and just settlement of your employment law claim. We prepare every case as if it were going to trial. We have a reputation for trying difficult cases when necessary. We believe this, in turn, helps us obtain better results in those cases that don't go to trial.
Call. Send An Email. Let's Get Started On Your Case Today.
Contact our office today to speak with our attorney directly. We can help you put the past behind you and work toward a better future. Call 304-932-4571 or toll free at 888-689-4893 or send us an email.
Evening and weekend appointments are available at our offices or at a location convenient to you.