Are you equipped with the basic knowledge on what to do if you are caught in a car accident? Are you aware of the proper steps to take, or are going to find yourself lost and without any idea on what to do?
Luckily, there are various things that you can do in order to be ready in case you find yourself in this dreaded situation. You need to have adequate knowledge of the steps you should take when involved in a car accident.
These are the five most important things you need to do:
- If you are able to do so, move your car to a safe area.
- Check yourself for injuries and refrain from moving if you don’t feel really well.
- Call 911, request that police and an ambulance (if there are injuries incurred by anyone) to proceed to the scene immediately.
- Gather basic but necessary information, such as identification, contact details, and photos of the other drivers and passengers, as well as, the location of the accident.
- Contact your insurance company and inform them of what happened. However, don’t force yourself to deliver comprehensive details during the first conversation.
Note: These steps are only the suggested things to do when caught in a car accident. But when circumstances make it impossible for you to perform any of the steps mentioned, you may skip it.
After being physically stable, you can then look into some legal options that you may consider, such as seeking compensation for injuries and other damages. A very competent and experienced car accident attorney from West Virginia can provide the necessary information and guidance you need as you explore your legal options and select the preferred but legally appropriate action.